April Spring SCORE & Moore Regatta

April 28, 2014Club Features, Regattas, S.C.O.R.E.

The 2014 Santa Cruz Ocean Racing Extravaganza kicked off Sunday with 14 boats rated from -66 to 141 as the Moore 24’s enjoyed a second day of their one design regatta. Competitors were accompanied by whales and otters and the spectators proclaimed it, “A beautiful day for sailing on the Monterey Bay.” Congratulations to the … Read More

Cruising Club Newsletter – for May

April 20, 2014Cruising

Hello Fellow Yacht Club Members!   On April 11th about a dozen of us met for lunch at the Pacific Sail Expo!  Not only did we get to have a great lunch at Scott’s but as expected we all started talking about boats which lead to discussions about the head and galley.  So if you weren’t … Read More

April Spring One Design

April 19, 2014Club Features, One Design, Regattas

Saturday enjoyed good early winds and a strong start for the SCYC spring season. At the start, the bay was peppered with 19 boats looking for the best route West, then East, and back again. Congratulations to the winning boats & wishing swift healing to the day’s injured list. Winners for the day: Santa Cruz … Read More

Friday Night Keelboat Practice

April 19, 2014Club Features, Corinthians

Friday’s late afternoon Easterly made for pleasant sailing and good conditions for learning & practice. With enough wind to move the boats, The Mistress enjoyed the luxury of flying a kite and capturing some fantastic reconnoissance photographs of the gripping match race. After the evening sail, we heated up the grill and made wake with … Read More

April 19, 2014Catalinas, SCYC Fleet News

By Barry Keeler TUESDAY APRIL15, 2014 It was a beautiful evening for a sail. Beautiful sunny evening with no fog. The only problem was, there was no wind! We had a dozen boats out and no wind. All we could do was wait! It only took about 20-25 minutes and we saw the water get … Read More

April Team Racing

April 13, 2014Club Features, Santana 22, SCYC Fleet News

Another great day on the water.  Thanks for Vern for help on RC. Boats representing Team Danger and Shanman took top honors for most wins. Here are standings for the races. green indicates a team win red (danger) or yellow (caution) indicates that team lost Race1 Race2 Race3 Race4 Race5 Race6 Race7 Race8 Race9 Race10 … Read More

April 11, 2014Catalinas, SCYC Fleet News

By Barry Keeler Tuesday April 8, 2014 After getting rained out last week, it was looking like it was going to be an awesome evening for a sail. It was clear and warm a mile inland from the ocean, so it was quite a surprise to see the harbor socked in with fog. What the … Read More

Commodore’s Regatta

April 5, 2014Club Features, Regattas

15 boats, rated between 250 and 0, showed for the annual Commodores Regatta just outside the Santa Cruz Yacht Harbor. With early light winds, the eleven mile pursuit appeared to be decided prior to the finish but not before the South-Westerly filled, peaking near 3 PM at nearly 16 knots at the start line. Congratulations … Read More

“Mi Dushi”

April 4, 2014Catalinas, SCYC Fleet News

By Barry Keeler Since all of our prayers for more rain were answered on this last Tuesday night, there were no boats that went out. I just returned from a Caribbean Cruise and thought I’d share one of my experiences on one of the excursions I took while on this cruise. ONE GREAT EXCURSION I … Read More