March 27, 2015Catalinas

By Barry Keeler Tuesday March 24, 2015 NIGHT OF MIXED WINDS As we were leaving the harbor, it seemed as though we had a North wind. Way outside you could see the wind line for the Westerly breeze. As we pulled up to the start mark, it looked like an Easterly was building. To complicate … Read More

SCYC Cruisers – Newsletter for April

March 24, 2015Cruising

The cruising group has a great event coming up.  It is the second annual Pacific Sail Expo Lunch and is open to ALL SCYC members. Lunch will be Dutch treat at Scotts Restaurant at Jack London Square.  Seating is at 11:30.  Please contact Rick and Dorie Green if you are interested in attending ( Our other … Read More

March Midwinters

March 23, 2015Club Features, Midwinters, Regattas

The final weekend of midwinter racing was a great start to the 2015 sailing season. Winds eased into the day from the south and queued themselves toward the west, building through to the third race which culminated in an all-out brawl for the finish. Following the sailing, the Leukemia Cup Regatta Kick-Off party satiated everyone’s appetite and … Read More

March 19, 2015Catalinas

By Barry Keeler ST.PATRICKS DAY TUESDAY NIGHT SAIL The prediction was for a lot of wind, but it just was not showing so we left the 155 jib up. As we left the harbor it was apparent that the start buoy was out, but Blacks was not out. We had to improvise with a course … Read More

March 13, 2015Catalinas

By Barry Keeler FIRST CATALINA NIGHT 2015 Because of work I was not able to get to the harbor before 5:50. With a little help from Todd on Kicks setting the mark and my usual crew on Pair A Dice, the race was started at 6 PM. The course was originally set for start, gov, … Read More

US Rules of Sailing Q&A

March 5, 2015Classes & Seminars, Club Features, WISS

Mike Gross hosted the final Winter Wednesday Informational Seminar at the Santa Cruz Yacht Club with a generous discussion on the various nuances of the US Rules of Sailing. With insight as a 10+ year veteran judge and particular knack for sailing rules, Mike, provided the intimate group not only with pulled-pork sandwiches (complete with … Read More

March 2, 2015Catalinas

By Barry Keeler It is finally time to prepare for this season of Catalina Tuesdays. It has been a long dry winter.I have worked on the new course cards for this year and I think you’ll like what I came up with!Here are the courses I came up with this year. CATALINA TUESDAY COURSES _/)Marks … Read More

Leukemia Cup 2015 – May 3rd

March 2, 2015Old Events & Announcments

Register Monterey Bay Leukemia Cup hosted by The Santa Cruz Yacht Club On May 3, 2015, raise a sail to fight blood cancer and join us for the Inaugural Leukemia Cup Regatta on Monterey Bay  hosted by the Santa Cruz Yacht Club. The Monterey Bay Leukemia Cup Committee and The Santa Cruz Yacht Club invite YOU to join them in the Inaugural … Read More

Hobie Fleet 240 Events Announcements.

March 1, 2015Old Events & Announcments

Free Community Sailing Days: 2015 Multihull Regattas: Call for prize raffle donations.  Santa Cruz Hobie Fleet 240 needs your support by supplying a donation or raffle prifzes for our 2015 Hobie/Multihull Regatta. Sailing on the Monterey Bay is a gift, a fun and healthy thing for all ages. Santa Cruz Fleet 240’s mission is to promote … Read More