January Midwinter’s

January 22, 2017Club Features, Midwinters

Frequent mudslides and downed trees on Hwy 17, partial shoaling of the harbor mouth, and some of the largest waves on the bay in many years kept racers ashore for the January 21 midwinter date.  Next midwinter racing is scheduled for February 18. 

SCYC El Toros in Half Moon Bay

January 6, 2017Juniors

Half way through the 2016/17 El Toro season, the group has decided to sail the remainder of their sessions on Half Moon Bay. Coaches, kids and parents are all enjoying the venue for its safe beaches, flat water and exciting conditions. Most importantly, the friendly Half Moon Bay Yacht club has welcomed the SCYC kids with unprecedented support … Read More

Building a Stitch and Glue El Toro – WISS

January 4, 2017WISS

Carole, Mark, & Lulu Hamlin presented this week on their venture into boat design and building.  Mark and Carole started the Santa Cruz High School sailing team together in 2006, and were named SCYC Junior Yachtsman and Junior Yachtswoman of the year in 2007. Carole went on to race for the University of Washington, while … Read More

2017 – Barry Keeler

January 1, 2017SCYC Commodores

I was born and raised in Washington DC along with two brothers and two sisters. My father was a bricklaying contractor and taught me the trade, though working in the sweltering summer heat and the bitter winter cold did not endear me to construction. The trade did allow me to work my way through school … Read More

2017 – Board of Directors

January 1, 2017SCYC Board of Directors

Commodore: Barry Keeler Vice Commodore: Joe Altmann Rear Commodore: Ashley Basanese Treasurer: Scott Walecka Port Captain: Tim Kelbert Secretary: Jason Lauer Regatta Chairman: Chris Hofmann Director: Dan Larson Director: John Buchanan Jr. Director: Tina Verutti Director: Beau Vrolyk Membership: Charlie Rice Clothing: Angela Madden Junior Director: Skip Ely Cruising Director: Katie Wohlstattar Port District: TBD SCORE: Chris Hofmann … Read More