Santa Cruz Small Craft Harbor entrance partially blocked

January 26, 2018Local News

Due to recent swell and storms, the harbor entrance conditions are dynamic and may pose a risk to boaters. Please evaluate the current conditions, the Harbor Soundings*, your skills and abilities, and the limitations of your vessel before transiting the harbor entrance. *Please be aware that harbor soundings are not necessarily up to date with … Read More

January Midwinters Postponed

January 19, 2018Midwinters, Regattas

Please be advised that the SCYC Race Committee has determined that it is NOT prudent to take out the race committee boats and volunteers tomorrow due to the extraordinary high surf and shoaling conditions across the Santa Cruz Harbor mouth. We regret if this may cause you to miss a fine race day if by … Read More

Santa Cruz Wind presented by Scott Smith

January 11, 2018Club Features, WISS

In case you missed it… Scott presented on the general themes of what makes wind work and applied the concepts to the localities of San Francisco and Santa Cruz. Major takeaways included the differentiation between the synoptic wind (the wind caused by macro weather patterns) and the local wind (caused by micro weather patterns). A … Read More

2018 – Joe Altmann

January 1, 2018SCYC Commodores

I first learned to sail on the Long Island Sound and my first boat was a Sears Roebuck Jet Wind dinghy.  After a fun filled bareboat charter to the BVI, I upgraded to a Catalina 22 with a swing keel for the shallow waters of the Great South Bay.  The summers are short on the … Read More