I first learned to sail on the Long Island Sound and my first boat was a Sears Roebuck Jet Wind dinghy.  After a fun filled bareboat charter to the BVI, I upgraded to a Catalina 22 with a swing keel for the shallow waters of the Great South Bay.  The summers are short on the East Coast, so when my wife Susan and I moved to California in 1988, we quickly bought a Cal 29 so we could sail year round.  We sailed that boat extensively on San Francisco Bay, the Delta and then brought her to Santa Cruz Harbor.  We joined the Yacht Club in 2000 and I got into racing when I purchased an El Toro and raced with the senior fleet.  

In 2004, we fulfilled a long time goal of cruising full time; we quit our jobs and bought a beautiful Wauquiez 45 which we named Suzy Q.  Starting in the Mediterranean, we cruised through France, Italy and the Greek islands wintering in Marmaris, Turkey.  We then pointed our bow westward visiting Mallorca, the Costa del Sol, and Gibraltar and then headed toward the Caribbean with stops at the Canaries and Cape Verde islands along the way.  Crossing the Atlantic in 2006, we spend another 2 years sailing up and down the Windward and Leeward Islands, from BVI to Trinidad, enjoying the tropical breezes and turquoise waters.  

Returning home in 2008, I went back to work in the logistics field in Silicon Valley and got more involved in Club activities.  Now the proud owner of a C&C 24, I also regularly crew in our One Design and SCORE races on Monterrey Bay.   

Our yacht club offers a variety of activities from competitive sailing and fun social events to an active junior and scholastic program and sponsoring events that help the local community.  Although we are primarily a sailing club, boating of any kind is at the heart of what we do.  Whether you’re interested in sailing, motoring, cruising or racing, are new to boating or an old salt, the Santa Cruz Yacht Club welcomes you.   

I found volunteering in Club activities to be rewarding and fun and I encourage all members to get involved.  I am honored to represent the Santa Cruz Yacht Club as Commodore this year, our 90th Anniversary.